I love making things. I have always loved power tools, especially ones that work with wood. I found this concept for a bench just to help my husband satisfy his "I am man. I must build something" urge. But in the end, I did most of the work and he assisted with the assembly.
I hope to make a twin of this later in the summer. For now, wedding decorations are taking priority.
Here we go:
1. The Slates: Chris and I found these Ikea type bed slates at a garage sale for a couple bucks. I already knew I wanted to make this bench when I saw them, so I was gitty. I took them apart and used 5 of them.
2. The Legs: At the same garage sale, these beauties were hiding under a deck. We asked if they could be purchased, so we paid only a few bucks for each. SCORE! I measured a chair to see how high I needed the legs to be and pulled out my little baby saw and cut away. I let my husband hold the beams for me.
3. The Base: I found a small piece of 2X4 in the garage and cut them. They formed the base in which I could attach my slates. To find the correct measurement, I placed the slates on the ground and measured. As you can see, I had a lot of help.
4. Begin Assembly: I decided that I wanted the top slates to over lap the side slates, so I attached these first and flush to the top of the base. Easy Peasy.
5. Finish Assembly: The last three slates were just placed evenly spaced.
It seems to work!
6. The Decorating: I wanted a two-toned bench, so I used my left over dark stain on the legs and a clear gloss on the top.
I love the end result! The assembly took less than an hour and it's quite comfortable. When I make the twin, I will post an update with a better picture that not on my messy porch.